Eye Safety: Tips to Maintaining Healthy Eyes
more than 300 million people on our planet complain about problems with poor eyesight. One of the reasons for this is a long work at the computer, a long viewing of television programs, an unhealthy diet and many other factors. Good vision is necessary for a person for a comfortable and fulfilling life. Therefore, try to follow our recommendations, for this you do not need much time.
How to keep your eyesight when watching TV?
One of the main causes of eye diseases is a long viewing of TV shows and serials. To maintain good eyesight, it is recommended to consider the following rules:
- the general rule of thumb is to be at least 5 times the distance from the screen as the screen is wide;
- when watching TV in the afternoon, draw the curtains, in the evening – turn on the dim light;
- let your eyes rest every half hour – take 5-minute breaks;
- watch TV no more than 3 hours a day.
- young children are not recommended to watch TV. From the age of 10, the child can spend in front of the TV screen no more than 1 hour per day. If you have vision problems, it is recommended to completely abandon this option of leisure.
How to maintain good eyesight when working with a computer?
Often the computer is used not only for work but for communicating with friends and relatives, making purchases online and organizing our leisure. Accordingly, we spend a large amount of time at the computer and forget that it is harmful. To maintain eye health and good vision, Safety RX recommends following the below recommendations:
- the distance from the computer screen to the eyes should be at least 30 cm;
- the top edge of the monitor should be 10 cm below eye level;
- blink more often or use moisturizing eye drops;
- if you wear glasses, wear them while working at the computer;
- take 15-minute breaks every hour;
- regularly remove dust from the monitor;
- do eye exercises or easy warm-up.
Ophthalmologists recommend spending at the computer no longer than 4 hours a day. If you have to work with it longer, install a program that will remind you of doing gymnastics for vision at certain intervals (for example, every hour).
How to how to keep good eyesight when reading?
If you can’t imagine your day without a good book, you should remember that reading can cause increased eyestrain. To keep your eyes from getting tired, follow these guidelines:
- do not read when lying down;
- keep the book at least 30 cm from your eyes;
- the light on the open page should fall from the top to the left;
- do not read in poor light;
- distract from the book every 60 minutes and divert your vision for a few minutes.
Best foods for eye health and eyesight
To maintain good eyesight, choose foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals. They will help you maintain eye health and provide them with the necessary substances for normal functioning.
- Vitamin A. It is contained in carrots, onions, liver, green peas, tomatoes, cottage cheese and lettuce. Vitamin A antioxidant beta-carotene helps to maintain visual acuity. Its deficiency can cause hemeralopia or “night blindness”;
- Vitamin C. It is contained in citrus fruits, sauerkraut, currants and rosehip. This vitamin for vision provides blood flow to the vessels and capillaries of the eye. In addition, vitamin C protects against shortwave rays that are harmful to vision;
- Vitamin E. It is found in large quantities in butter and vegetable oil, potatoes, nuts, spinach, cereals and legumes. It is a powerful natural antioxidant. Vitamin E helps prevent age-related visual impairment such as cataracts;
- Lutein and zeaxanthin. These trace elements are contained in almost all vegetables and fruits of dark green color, as well as grain bread and eggs. They are also antioxidants. Lutein and zeaxanthin prevent the destruction of the yellow spot of the retina and provide the normal functioning of the visual analyzer.
Tips to Help You Eyes Through Exercise
The most useful sports for good vision are tennis and badminton. They train the eye muscles, as the gaze during the game constantly monitors the movements of the shuttle or the ball. Swimming is also effective because it helps to maintain normal blood circulation in the area of the cervical vertebrae – keeping eyes healthy is impossible without it.
- Use high-quality lighting. When you work with the computer or read, pay attention to the location of the light source. If possible, sit back to the window or the lamp. It is recommended to use ambient light, which falls on the left side;
- If you need glasses, you should first get a prescription (for safety reasons);
- Take breaks. It is no coincidence that there are school breaks. Eyes need rest, especially during hard work. Take the rule to be interrupted for at least 5 minutes every 30 minutes;
- Protect your eyes from the sun. Most people mistakenly believe that ultraviolet is dangerous only in the summer. However, it is far from the truth. You should protect the eyes from sunlight throughout the year. Today you can even pick up stylish and cheap sunglasses online!
Compliance with these simple rules offered by Safety RX will allow you to keep your eyes healthy for a lifetime!